Thursday, March 25, 2010

Exodus 3

Moses and the burning bush (vs. 1-10)—Moses’ life was rather ordinary until the Lord appeared to him in a burning bush. He was tending his father-in-laws flocks (v. 1) when he saw “the bush was burning with fire, but the bush was not consumed” (v. 2). Moses investigated (v. 3), and Jehovah “called to him from the midst of the bush” (v. 4). It was holy ground and the Lord commanded Moses to keep his distance and take off his sandals; sinful man can only approach God when He allows and only with the most humble of demeanors. The Lord introduced Himself: “I am the God of your father—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” Moses rightly hid his face, being afraid to even look upon God (v. 6). Where is our reverence and fear of God today? Jehovah tells Moses that He is about to deliver His people from Egypt and “to bring them up from that land to a good and large land, to a land flowing with milk and honey” (v. 8). Remember, this promise was first made to Abraham at least 400 years prior. Go back 400 years from today—1610. The first permanent English settlement in America, Jamestown, was established in 1607. Of course, the Lord had to wait until Israel had developed sufficient population to conquer the land of Canaan, but still God’s plans are worked out in His time, not ours. The Lord then tells Moses that he will be the one to “bring My people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt” (v. 10).

Moses isn’t sure about this (vs. 11-21)— Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, and that I should bring the children of Israel out of Egypt?” (v. 11). A fair question. According to Stephen in Acts 7, he had tried once, but failed (Acts 7:25); why would he succeed this time? Because “I will certainly be with you,” the Lord told him (v. 12). That should have been good enough, but Moses will waver. “Indeed, when I come to the children of Israel and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they say to me, 'What is His name?' what shall I say to them?" (v. 13). He gets the astonishing, and totally incomprehensible, answer “I AM WHO I AM…you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’” (v. 14). The idea of “I AM” is continuing existence; He was, is, and always will be. It is a statement of God’s eternal being. When Jesus said to the Jews in John 8:58, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM,” He was affirming, in no uncertain terms, His own deity and eternal existence. The reference to Exodus 3:14 is absolutely unmistakable. The Jews knew it and were going to kill Him, but He escaped (John 8:59). How anyone can read John 8:58 and deny Jesus’ co-eternity with the Father is beyond me; but there are groups, such as the Jehovah’s Witnesses, who argue that Jesus was created and thus not full deity with the Father and thus not eternal in nature and existence.

Back in Exodus 3, beginning in verse 15, the Lord gives Moses a summary of what He wants him to do and what will happen in Egypt. Go tell the children of Israel that the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob has sent you (v. 15), that He has “seen what is done to you in Egypt” (v. 16), and “will bring you up out of the affliction of Egypt…to a land flowing with milk and honey” (v. 17). Moses was to go to Pharaoh and ask leave for a “three days’ journey into the wilderness, that we may sacrifice to the Lord our God” (v. 18). Of course, God had more in mind than that, but “the king of Egypt will not let you go” (v. 19). “So I will stretch out My hand and strike Egypt with all My wonders which I will do in its midst, and after than he will let you go” (v. 20). The plagues demonstrated to God’s people His awesome power; it was something they should have never forgotten. But they did. The people of Egypt will be glad to finally see the children of Israel leave (v. 21), and “you shall plunder the Egyptians” (v. 22). Egypt had used Hebrew labor for several generations; it seems only fair that Israel should have some sort of payment in return: “you shall not go empty-handed” (v. 21).

No comments:

Post a Comment